Do You Know What You’re Posting?

Image result for being safe onlineIn chapter two of Social Media for Strategic Communication, the writers talk about how in today's society, it is so important to watch what you're posting on social media. It had some information that I was familiar with but also raised questions that I hadn't thought of before. The list of questions prompted was very thought provoking and made me want to sit and think if I've applied all of the right steps to my own account. Here are the questions and how I've applied them to my own accounts, and why it's important to consider when you're on social media:

1. Do I care if people search previous updates (pictures, messages, blog posts, etc.) to use for job interviews?
From a personal standpoint, I have never really posted anything that I regret or that I wouldn't want others to see. This is something that high schools are starting to integrate more and more into their curriculum when teaching about tech and social media safety. Many schools and colleges do look at social media, and sometimes it can even be a determining factor in whether or not you get a job or get accepted into a school. 

2. Am I aware that while I have my account settings set to “private,” they really are not?
I was aware of this because at my high school we were taught that even though your information is set to private, it's not really private. A lot of companies can still get and sell your data to future employers, schools, etc.

3. Do I care if I send out a tweet or snap that may look “cool” online with my friends, but could reflect poorly on the organization or company I represent?
This is something I take into consideration everytime I post, I post nothing with profanity or bad content, I try and keep everything positive and clean. This is so important because even though it is drilled into our heads from a young age, especially in today's society, many people still don't realize that once you post something it's on the databases forever, even if you delete it.

4. Do I know what I need to do in case someone uses my profile picture to create a fake account?
This is something I didn't know a lot about other than just reporting their accounts. This issue is definitely a lot more rare for average, everyday people to encounter but it does happen so getting educated on each platform on what to do in that situation could be extremely beneficial.

5. Am I aware that an update made in a spark of emotion or outrage could cause me to get suspended from my job, miss out on a job opportunity, or even get fired?
Personally, I have a rule that I never post anything about my current job positive or negative on social media, because any backlash from that could ruin your career. Posting about your job can be very tricky, and even in anger situations, holding back your tweets and posts might work in your favor. Never post anything that you wouldn't want current or future employers to see.

6. Do I understand the impact of sharing my opinion online for the world to see, and the community, professional, and global implications toward my personal brand?
This kinda goes along with question five, and not posting anything that you wouldn't want others to know you for. Social media can often show someone's true colors and if your colors are making nasty, unprofessional comments, you will have a much harder time reinventing your personal brand and reputation.

7. Am I aware of the power (and risks) associated with saying something online and the effects it may have on another person?
This is something that is preached more and more in schools as cyberbullying is becoming increasingly worse every day. Being aware of what you're posting, the sensitivity of your content, and thinking of how it could make others feel is crucial. If you're posting things purposely to make someone sad, angry, or jealous you need to rethink your intent. Trying to get the internet to happy, safe, professional and thriving space should be the top priority of your account, and should reflect in how you post.

Comments

  1. You seem to have a pretty good handle on understanding what you should or should not post on social media! Social media "common sense", if you will, is extremely important to have in this day and age. It feels like everyone should know by now to be careful of what they are posting but that still is not the case.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty on a Budget

Podcast Interview With Josh Martinez!

The Riding Out East, Then West, Then East Again Tour